Monday, October 22, 2018

Rollerskating

It had been a long week for both of us and I was just looking to have some fun and blow off a little steam. I hear the Roller Rink in St. Louis Park was cool so I decided- that's just what we need, a surprise night of fun and activity- its been so rainy.

I go to meet Buttercup at the bus stop and tell her we are going on a surprise adventure. Everyone was excited. We pulled up to the building with the rollerskating dinosaur painted on the front and walked in. She loved the lights, loved the music, and we got our skates on. Time to start.

Image result for Roller Disco GIF

In my mind, I didn't see her not knowing how to skate as a big issue. Skating was easier than the bike situation right? and kids learn this stuff all the time. Wrong. We started off on the wall together- Instant tears and "I can't do this". we inch around the half - wall trying to get used to the skates. I tried to stay positive and encouraging but 20min in, after I said "turn of your tears, put your brave face on - This is fun!!!" enough times to make me want to punch myself, and halfway around our first lap I was thinking that this was a terrible idea, and its just making everything works, and its not fun at all.

Related image

Minutes later, she was falling over and laughing. A man in a leisure suit and a mustache- must have been there since the 70's, skated over and asked if it was our first time and if we'd like some tips. YES! so he said to keep your feet in a V (backward from downhill skiing) and take tiny steps and practice on the strip of carpet first. DOH! of course.... practice on the carpet. Thanks, Mr!

Related image

Soon enough she was jazzed about her own success in learning to skate around. and I was jazzed that she felt success so quickly!

Image result for roller disco GIF

No comments:

Post a Comment