Monday, June 25, 2012

Sick, with 'Bob Dylan Voice'

This weekend, we had awesome plans to go camping and horseback riding in the north part of the park. We were also going to hike specimen ridge, where they have petrified trees. All our plans came crashing down when I went home sick from my Friday :(

We made the best of our weekend though, on our Saturday I did feel better, so we went on a ranger walk through the upper basin, did our research project and earned our "Young Scientist" badge, and we went to some other evening programs.

Our project for our "Young Scientist" badge was: Is bacteria color and temperature universal in hot springs of the upper geyser basin? we got a backpack filled with sciency toys including a holster with the laser thermometer. we walked around and took the temperatures of white, yellow, orange, green and brown bacteria living in the hot springs. Later I geeked out with excel crunching numbers and making graphs. keep in mind, this badge is for ages 14 and up. The instructions were in comic form.

We found that the temperatures vary a lot with similar colors of bacteria, however, the bacteria colors always grow in the same order from hottest to coldest thermophile. Badge, Earned.... now for the Junior Ranger Badge :D

One lady approached us when we were taking temps of the springs and asked if my thermometer was a "scat identifier". Unfortunately I dont think she was joking, or that such device exists... but it doesn't  take a genius to know that All the poop in the upper geyser basin is BISON! 

pictures to come later!

So, since I was raspy, I decided to try and learn a Bob Dylan song on the ukelele. Roman thought it was very entertaining! I kept coughing like a smoker in the middle of the verses too.... if only I could play the harmonica too....

No comments:

Post a Comment